Sunday 2 March 2008

Scab! Scab! Hang him hang him hang him!!!

Against my better judgement, I did an all-day shift in one of those horrible, soulless, 100 hour supermarket pharmacies the other day. This is something I promised myself that I would never do.

So why did I do it? Essentially, because I can see the light at the end of the dank, grey, newspeak existence that is the tunnel of retail pharmacy. And I figure I may as well earn as much money as I can before I escape.

I can't wait to leave. I'm fed up of hearing brain-dead bigots complaining about Muslims taking over. I'm fed up of having to deal with 3000 different types of cough mixture, none of which work. I resent the way that Tesco and Boots seem to be taking over the entire world. I absolutely, positively cannot stand the ever-increasing tide of ridiculous legislation that does nothing but prevent me from doing my job properly.

Honestly, what is the point of having a pharmacy open for 100 hours? Anything after, say, 7pm should be for emergencies only, by which I mean things like diamorphine, antibiotics for kids and the elderly and anything else that absolutely, positively can't wait until the next morning.

They should not be used so that I can see invisible skin complaints at 9pm, or trying to persuade people to stop wasting their money on Nurofen in a shiny box when the bog-standard stuff does the same job for tuppence.

No comments: