Thursday 21 February 2008

Further Proof That Australians Are Not Like Us.

I discovered an astounding fact today while slogging through the Australian Medicines Handbook.


There. Is. No. Bendrofluazide. In. Australia.

Imagine that! In the Ghetto we order in bendrofluazide by the shipload. It's one of the most popular, cheapest drugs around. If I could be bothered, I'd look up the interwebs to find out how much of it was prescribed last year.

In Australia, they still use hydrochlorothiazide. Which is one benzene ring, and three fluorines away from being bendrofluazide.

Freaks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Most of the world uses hydrochlorothiazide., I was quite surprised to see bendroflumethazide when I arrived in the UK, as far as I can tell there is no therapeutic difference between the thiazides and the only evidence is for clorthalidone an old off patent relative used in Australia.

azimbabweanpharmacist