Friday 8 February 2008

Urgent Message For All Doctors, Especially Hospital Outpatient Doctors.

You are a doctor. You have, literally the power of life and DEATH in your hands. You can write prescriptions for the magic drugs that work. If you are a twat, you can write scripts for homeopathy. If you are a doctor and reading this, for God's sake please make sure you have the following on the script:

1) The correct date. Not tomorrow, or the day after. If you're lucky, the pharmacist may not notice until after the drug has been given out. Usually because I am not entirely certain what the date is myself

2) A quantity would be nice. 1/12, 5/7, anything like this is fine. "For one month" is fine, this means I can give a complete pack.

3) A signature. No signature, no drugs, simple as. You wouldn't take an unsigned cheque, would you? This especially applies to Dr. Beelzebub's practice round the corner, who seem completely incapable of signing scripts.

4) THE FUCKING NAME OF THE FUCKING DRUG. I don't care if you are a consultant with 240,000,000 years experience, if you can't write the FUCKING DRUG NAME on the prescription, I can't dispense it. "30mg bd" is not acceptable

5) Stop. Think. Make sure that the prescription you have written makes sense. If you do this, everyone is a winner.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I had a sex dream about The Welsh Pharmacist once.

I feel dirty. So dirty.

The Welsh Pharmacist said...

Heh heh heh.

Do I know you? Are you one of the girls from the Ghetto? That's the sort of thing they would say. Indeed.

Anonymous said...

wales are gonna loose tomorrow

The Welsh Pharmacist said...

Loose?

You talking about some girl from the Rhondda?

Anonymous said...

You should also add point 6, when all of the above is correct make sure anyone can read the bloody thing. Trying to get hold of a doctor in a hospital to tell him/her that you can not read their spider like handwritting is a nightmare. Patients don't like to be told that the script is illegible and they will need to take it back or go to their GP for one that is written clearly.

Anonymous said...

Well you do know me, but thankfully I have the sense to avoid pharmacies at all costs. Full of germs and disgruntled pharmacists. Yes.

I still feel dirty. But I'll sit back and wonder for a very long time I hope.

It's not like I'm not getting any.

Anonymous said...

Watch what you say about Rhondda girls we have some of the finest underage teen mothers in the world. I mean it's not every child that gets diazepam or methadone in their breast milk is it?